My first try at a Lithophane (Extreme Stress Test)

Gallery for images of work cut using PhotoVCarve
JJWMACHINECO
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Re-worked/Modified K2CNC KG-3925

My first try at a Lithophane (Extreme Stress Test)

Post by JJWMACHINECO »

I have been using Bobart ProX for about 5 years now for making picture engravings and I was so disappointed and frustrated with the time it took to generate the G-Code. :evil: After reading on this forum about other users of the PhotoVCarve software, I downloaded the demo. I could not believe how simple, fast and reliable this software really is. :D

I purchased it about 2 weeks ago and I really wanted to put it to an extreme test on a Lithophane. Since this is the first time I ever made one, I wanted to use a picture that had allot of detail with many different objects in the same picture so I chose an antique glass negative I had.

First I scanned the image and inverted it, then I edited it in my Photo software to remove any spots and damaged areas because it was so old. Then I trimmed the image size to fit the Corian that I had purchased. I roughed it out with a 1/8" Ball EM @ .090" depth. Then I cut it with a 1/32" Ball EM @ .095" depth. I finished it with a 1/64" Ball EM @ .100" depth, yes I said a .0156" Diameter Ball End Mill and this Lithophane is only 7-1/2" wide by 5" high and it had taken 34 hours machine time to complete.

Not only did I test the software to the extreme, I stress tested my CNC router and my Bosch Colt spindle to the max and everything passed with flying colors. The detail that I was able to achieve with the PhotoVCarve software was amazing and it was as clear and detailed as the original image. :D

I was also impressed with how easy it was to make and edit the Post Processors for there software. I have already wrote one to engrave on the outside diameter using my 4th axis. That is my next Lithophane project in the near future and I will post the pictures when I'm done. Thanks Vectric for your easy to use photo engraving software.
Attachments
Image loaded into PhotoVCarve.
Image loaded into PhotoVCarve.
After engraving process.
After engraving process.
It comes to life with light.
It comes to life with light.
Extensivly Re-worked/Re-designed/Modified Servo K2CNC KG-3925 and the Mini Laser Engraver

moto633
Vectric Wizard

Re: My first try at a Lithophane (Extreme Stress Test)

Post by moto633 »

AWSOME!

34hrs...............UUUFFF

Did it run continuous?

Thank you for sharing Vectric is GREAT!
Nick

GripUs
Vectric Wizard

Post by GripUs »

WOW! I have never done any lithopanes, probably because I don't have the time and, if truth be known, the patience. I have seen some work on this site that borders on genius but I do believe this is the new benchmark toward which all will strive. Beautiful work.

Regards,

Joe
Ham and eggs - Inconvenient for the chicken. A total commitment for the pig.
http://www.gripus.com/

JJWMACHINECO
Vectric Craftsman

Post by JJWMACHINECO »

15 minutes 1/8" BEM, 6 hours 1/32" BEM continuous, almost 28 hours continuous after breaking 5 1/64" BEM at the start until I got the feed rate down enough to stop breaking them. This was my first Litho and will be going through this learning curve on feed rates for awhile. Jeff
Extensivly Re-worked/Re-designed/Modified Servo K2CNC KG-3925 and the Mini Laser Engraver

calgrdnr
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot prt with 4g upgrade

Post by calgrdnr »

WOW that is fantastic... 1st try... you are making us look bad already .. Detail is so nice . Welcome to the world of lithophane addiction ...

You might want to give the Vbit lithophane method a try . I don't think it will come out as high a resolution as you got . but close at 10 hours or so no roughing out . BSimage came up with this method. you can search him out > I also have posted my method somewhere on this forum.

I worked up your photo and here is what I got... as stated won't be as good as yours ...

I use a 30 degree bit from centurion tell software it is ball nose size my chosing .. most time tell it .03 this time I told it .017 for most lithophanes .03 works great ... Normally not as much detail as you got...

Again WOW

thanks for sharing
Attachments
lima settins.jpg
lima time .jpg

JJWMACHINECO
Vectric Craftsman

Post by JJWMACHINECO »

Thanks for the advise and compliments. You guys are great. I really am pleased with the results on my first Litho project. The Bosch Colt I'm using is only 35,000 RPM. I have a Precise brand spindle I use on my CNC milling machine that is 45,000 RPM and I'm already looking at mounting it on my router. That will allow me to increase the feed rate some, considering less run out on the spindle too. I wish there was an inexpensive precision 1/2 HP 100,000 RPM spindle out there on the market. That would cut it down almost 2/3 on the cutting time or more after I get more experience with the feed rates. Yea I'm addicted. 8) Jeff

ManitobaKeith
Vectric Wizard

Post by ManitobaKeith »

That is just absolutely BEAUTIFUL!! WOW and AWESOME also come to mind.

Too bad about the bit loss, but I guess it is part of the learning curve.
Care to share what you ended up using as a feed rate and RPM?
Keith
It is not only what we do,but also what we do not do,for which we are accountable-Jean Moliere

gravirozo
Vectric Wizard

Post by gravirozo »

hello

the size might be 5x7 but there are million nodes, lines...
this picture even would work on doubled size...

thanks to posting

viktor

JJWMACHINECO
Vectric Craftsman

Post by JJWMACHINECO »

The 1/64" BEM ended up at 10 IPM at 35,000 RPM. I started out at 40 IPM thinking its only cutting .005" off the bottom with .003" step over. But finally realized that the 1/32" BEM did not cut down into some areas because of the software calculations of that tool. I kept dropping the feed rate down until the breakage stopped. After that it made it all the way through it without any more problems. Jeff

tmerrill
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot

Post by tmerrill »

Jeff,

Very impressive project!

I have used 1/32" and 1/64" bits in wood and held my breath the entire time. Didn't break any but probably because my setting were so conservative.

Have you considered swapping out your Colt with the variable speed model? Might help reduce bit heat that can dull and weaken carbide pretty quick.

Keep the projects coming!

Tim

buck4
Vectric Craftsman

Post by buck4 »

For only your first lithophane, you done a great job, plus picked a photo that I would of never concidered
trying. I guess I better put PVC to the test. I've done pictures that were, what I call too busy, but seeing the job you did on that busy picture, I'm thinking my problem was more of a contrast issue.
Thanks for sharing..........and have fun...........Buck

JJWMACHINECO
Vectric Craftsman

Post by JJWMACHINECO »

I am using a variable speed Bosch Colt and it has been my experiance that carbide performs better at higher speeds. I just had my chip load to high and caused my small 1/64" end mills to break. Once I found the sweet spot on the feed rate and chip load, it ran for almost 28 hours without any more breakage and at 35,000 RPM. If I had a 70,000 RPM spindle I could have cut at 20 IPM with the same chip load and done it in 14 hours. Jeff

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

I had to go scrabbling around on the floor to find my jaw when I saw this. :shock:

Absolutely incredible. I wish I had to time to make them but I'd lose a fortune if I tied the machine up for that amount of time.

gravirozo
Vectric Wizard

Post by gravirozo »

hello jeff

about speed and feeds... yes we experiencing everyday as these programs calculate toolpath... the most "shocking" for me the tracing... i've got used for a little indicator as shows the tracing bitmap, shows the processing... in vcarve and aspire you don't find that... first time i thought the program do nothing... because when i clicked, that was immediately done :-)
on models what you got used 15 min to hours to calculating toolpath on a model... all vectric program makes minutes...

for motors to speed your machining, look at for excellon motors... they makes motors for drilling pcb boards... some motor is spinning with 180K, they have watercooled electric, and airdriven too... it sounds too much, but when you count on 0.1 mm tip or drill dia meter 0.05 mm, then this is reasonable

thanks
viktor

JJWMACHINECO
Vectric Craftsman

Post by JJWMACHINECO »

Thanks Viktor for the information on the Excellon spindle. I will try to find one that the cost in not out of site. Wow, 180,000 RPM would really rip through one of these projects in no time. Water cooled electric would most likely be the best way to go. Air spindles use to much CFM of air. I have a 45,000 RPM air spindle and it will make my compressor almost run constantly. Thanks again. Jeff