Model railroad structures

This is the place to post images of work produced using Aspire
ChiloquinRuss
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: 2008 48x96 ShopBot spindle and Aspire

Model railroad structures

Post by ChiloquinRuss »

Lots of folks have trains under the Christmas tree so I thought I would post some model railroad related projects I've been doing. They are all O scale (like Lionel size). All done on a 48x96 ShopBot and Aspire software. Material is sintra pvc plastic in 1mm, 3mm, and 6mm thickness (cuts like butter!). Russ

If you want to see where they are going please view:

http://www.hobby-tronics.com/1940DRGW/

AKA: The Train Guy!

tonydude919
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: cnc mako shark ext bed with HD 5 gantry

Re: Model railroad structures

Post by tonydude919 »

Russ,

That is some excellent work. I used to have a model train layout in my basement for a couple years, but had to take it down. Are you the same guy on shopbot forum? I thought I saw it there also. Where do you buy your sintra pvc plastic? Want to see more when you have time. Keep up the great work.

Tony

ChiloquinRuss
Vectric Craftsman

Post by ChiloquinRuss »

I get the sintra from Midwest Sign Supply.

http://www.midwestsign.com/locations/ma ... ations.asp

But you should be able to get it from any larger sign supplier / wholesaler. Even though its plastic it cuts like wood, no melting, very nice clean cuts, and cuts fast. The models glue up with regular old pvc pipe cement. The layout itself is cut from 3/4 inch cabinet grade (sort of, HD China ply) and assembled with A Kreg pocket screw system.

Thanks for asking. Russ
Attachments
L61.JPG
L47.JPG

Leo
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 1300 x 1300 x 254 Chinese Made

Post by Leo »

VERY cool indeed.

I am a model Railroader.

I don't have a railroad, cause it it too much time and too much money and requires too much space.

After I retire I will play around with it, but I cannot now.

Doesn't stop me from lookin and going to shows.

My wife likes it also.

Great work. I especially like the engine house.
Imagine the Possibilities of a Creative mind, combined with the functionality of CNC

ChiloquinRuss
Vectric Craftsman

Post by ChiloquinRuss »

The roundhouse was a lot of fun especially with Aspire. My buddy really wanted a Como roundhouse which is no longer available so I found the plans for it and made this one the exact same size. In the future if we find a Como we might replace it. All of our structures to date are what we call 'place holders'. At our age we want to get the layout up and running and place lots of STRUCTURES on the layout so . . . . With Aspire and my ShopBot its only a little bit of time from concept to assembly.

More roundhouse pix:
Attachments
S12.JPG
S13.JPG
S18.JPG
S19.JPG
S20.JPG

Phil
Vectric Wizard

Post by Phil »

Excellent work - post more!!

Phil

bill_w
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PRSalpha BT48

Post by bill_w »

Very nice, well done!
Computers-Yuk....I should junk it...It never does what it should do...only what I tell it.

ChiloquinRuss
Vectric Craftsman

Post by ChiloquinRuss »

When I first started using my ShopBot and Aspire I was doing rather large models for the local live steam club. As my understanding of the machine and the software grew I got more and more excited about trying some smaller scale modeling. Then I saw a post where some of you were doing printed circuit boards on thier machines! :shock: So I figured I'd give it a try and well I'm just amazed at what comes out.

Large Model first followed by a much smaller model. If you look closely at the first pix you can see the large model in my trailer parked in front of the real building. The man door on the smaller model is 3/4 x 1 1/2 inches. Notice the warehouse door with the winery style door.

Thanks for all the comments guys. I certainly don't do any of the killer furniture projects like you do, but I really do enjoy my machine and playing with Vectric's terrific software. Russ
Attachments
comparison2.jpg
MVC-026S.JPG
MVC-039S.JPG
S37.JPG
S38.JPG

zeeway
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Self-built

Post by zeeway »

Amazing work, Russ. Thanks for posting.

Angie

ChiloquinRuss
Vectric Craftsman

Post by ChiloquinRuss »

Thanks for the comments. I am at this moment a little embarassed and mostly humbled by the latest Vectric Newsletter. As I have stated before I am certainly no master craftsman like many on this forum. In the same newsletter are featured real works of art while I just make toys. It really is quite an honor to be referenced in the breath as those that are the masters. Pretty cool! Russ the train guy!

esteeme1
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Cobra 404 ATC; ROMAX WD-1; Shark

Post by esteeme1 »

ChiloquinRuss wrote:Thanks for the comments. I am at this moment a little embarassed and mostly humbled by the latest Vectric Newsletter. As I have stated before I am certainly no master craftsman like many on this forum. In the same newsletter are featured real works of art while I just make toys. It really is quite an honor to be referenced in the breath as those that are the masters. Pretty cool! Russ the train guy!
Well spoken your words are as eloquent as your craftmanship.
Jim Darlas
"Can Do!"
http://www.esteemedwoodcrafts.com/
http://www.esteemedplaques.com/

cncrailroad
Model of CNC Machine: 4' x 4' CNCRouter Parts, DIY built

Post by cncrailroad »

:D Congradulations Russ,
On making the newsletter, I went right to your portion to see what was up because I am also a model railroader like you. In fact I spoke to you years ago on the shopbot site as I model in "G" gauge. Your models look great! I also like the way you connected your sub-roadbed with the pocket screws. I'm currently building an indoor layout myself.

Chuck

ChiloquinRuss
Vectric Craftsman

Post by ChiloquinRuss »

Thank you Jim and Chuck.

"connected your sub-roadbed with the pocket screws" It is a pretty cool system and very strong, I can get up and move around on the benchwork and have had no issues. I have my risers on 16 inch centers and 3/4 inch ply so pretty strong. I cut out several sheets of various radius curves, a sheet of switch blocks and some pieces for placing sidings. While laying out the layout we place the parts just like you would 'snap track' and trim to fit. It is a good system after you do the first few pieces.

Laying out the pieces in Aspire let me try some combinations for some of the more complicated track work areas. Sort of like using model railroad layout planning software. When I got out in the layout area I had print outs of my Aspire test fits and simply matched it up and it went right together. Thanks again for the comments, I appreciate it.
Attachments
cumbres work area.jpg
L71.JPG

bennyb
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: CNC SHARK PRO

Post by bennyb »

THat is awesome, If you charged admission around Christmas, you could donate a small fortune to your favorite charity. I wish i had that kind of space. Beautiful craftsmanship, and the paint job on the buildings is first rate!

ChiloquinRuss
Vectric Craftsman

Post by ChiloquinRuss »

Many model railroad clubs around the country have Christmas shows and they are always very well attended, folks just like trains at Christmas! :D The case for this railroad though is that it is a private residence and is on the second story over the main shop building! Just a little hard for public access. Thanks for the comments they mean a lot to me. Russ