Help posting Vcarve to Mach 3

phatjap

Help posting Vcarve to Mach 3

Post by phatjap »

Hi there,

I purchased Vcarve and Mach 3 Licences about 5 months ago and got them both working on an old XP machine nicely, recently ( a week ago) I reinstalled on a slightly newer machine, also with XP, however, Vcarve does not seen to post to Mach 3. I'm stuck as to how to resolve it.

The error I get is 'failed to find data on installed version of Mach' and then if I ok that, I get 'Failed to find instance of Mach'.

Can anyone advise what might be the trouble?

Kind regards.

Mark
Vectric Staff
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark, ShopBot, Roland PNC3000

Re: Help posting Vcarve to Mach 3

Post by Mark »

Hello Neil,

The "Output direct to machine" option when checked will output the
toolpath file directly to some machines and some control software.

The "link" is one provided by either the machine tool manuafacturer
or the control software producer.

In the case of Mach3, this feature should be available with
Mach3 version 2.61 or newer.

It relies on some registry entries that Mach3 installs by default
that tell 3rd party software (such as ours) where Mach3 is installed and
if it is currently running.

You will see the error message that you are seeing if:

Mach3 is not running.

The version of Mach3 is older than version 2.61 and does not support this feature.

The "Mach4.Document" registry entries were not able to be installed by the Mach3
installation program. (It might be the case that you might need to install Mach3
as an administrator on some operating systems).

It might be the case, if you re-install Mach3 as an administrator (and run it
for the first time as administrator) that this will allow the registry entries to
be created.

I hope that this helps.

Cheers,

Mark.

phatjap

Post by phatjap »

Hi Mark,

Thank you for your reply.

I've done a few basic checks based on your answer.

1 I think I'm running as an administrator as when I try to change my clock settings on my PC, I seem to be allowed.

2 I also am running Mach 3 Version Version R3.042.040

3 Mach 3 is definitely running.

Summing up the above, it seems I did install as a the administrator Is it still worth re-installing it? Or is there a way to add the registry entries manually?

Kind regards,

Neil.

phatjap

Post by phatjap »

Hi again,

Still having trouble. I've uninstalled everything and reinstalled it and still get the same message as above.

Is there a way to create the right files in the registry manually, or any other tips to try?

Kind regards.

fretsman68
Vectric Wizard

Post by fretsman68 »

Just a shot in the dark here, did you install both programs in the default directories?

Dave
--------------
Dave

fretsman68
Vectric Wizard

Post by fretsman68 »

phatjap

Since you actually have Cut2D, and not VCarve Pro, maybe the VCarve link in Mach 3 will not work for Cut2D now because of some possible change or update?

Dave
--------------
Dave

BrianM
Vectric Staff
Model of CNC Machine: A few ...

Post by BrianM »

Hi Phatjap,

This is presumably the same problem as was happening here http://www.vectric.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=9338

Unfortunately if Mach 3 isn't creating these entries we can't connect to it. It may be worth trying the Mach forums to see if anyone knows how to install these entries manually.

Brian

phatjap

Post by phatjap »

Hello

Thanks for the replies. I've tried the Mach forumand some kindly people replied, one thing a person suggested was perhaps to mention that it is Vcarve Pro listed in the Mach 3 file menu, rather than Cut2d.

Yes, I am installing in the default directory, but the link on this forum seems to be the same as the one I am experiencing, but with and XP machinee, it seems it was fixed with a copy of the registry files transported to the missing operating system. Is there a chance someone can send me a copy of this from their XP machine to try? I'm not experienced enough to know where to find it to check firstly though, can anyone tell me how to?

The other thing of course is if there has been an upgrade, I could try to install the previous version.

Kind regards.

Phatjap.