Last Supper Model

Tips, tricks and questions about the free Design and Make 3D Machinist from https://store.designandmake.com/ - Design & Make projects

Moderator: Todd Bailey

JamesB
Vectric Alumni
Model of CNC Machine: Exel CNC SL60/90 Pro

Last Supper Model

Post by JamesB »

Hello everyone, I have been a bit quiet on the forum recently. Lots going on with Vector Art 3D, just much of it behind the scenes for things we are trying to do with the website to add new features. Also many of you will be pleased to know we are working on a collection of Dasch's work which should be released in about a month.

I normally don't make a point of announcing individual models but we have has a lot of requests from customers for the Last Supper to be modelled and added to the site. We have been working on this now for about 3 months and have finally got a nice looking finished part. You can view the model on the site and purchase here: http://www.vectorart3d.com/store/index.cfm?q=supper
You will see 3 models - one of just Jesus' figure ($25), one of the whole scene with background ($75) and also one of just the figures and the table ($50).

We worked very hard to make this a highly detailed model but also to try and keep the depth down to allow customers to cut it in relatively thin material. The images on our site do not really do it justice so I have attached a few below. Including 2 which show the actual preview/simulation of the cut part rather than just the model so you can see just how much detail you will get on the machine.

Hopefully this is something that will be useful for those who are interested.
I have an idea for a part where the version with the figures and the table could be cut and mounted on a board which had the background v-carved instead of modelled. This could use different wood colours/finish and would be quicker to machine - I will post a CRV file later which has the vectors for the background on it in case anyone wants to try it?

Thanks for reading my long post (if you got this far) :)
Attachments
Toolpath preview of the full scene cut with a 1/8 inch ball-nose scaled to be 24 x 12 x 0.45 inches.
Toolpath preview of the full scene cut with a 1/8 inch ball-nose scaled to be 24 x 12 x 0.45 inches.
Toolpath preview of the version with just the figures and the table - scaled to be 48 x 15 x 0.9 inches and cut with a 1/4 inch ball nose.
Toolpath preview of the version with just the figures and the table - scaled to be 48 x 15 x 0.9 inches and cut with a 1/4 inch ball nose.
Here is the actual model loaded into VA3D-Machinist and scaled to be 24 x 12 x 0.45 inches. You can see the high level of detail here, some of which is always going to be lost in the machining.
Here is the actual model loaded into VA3D-Machinist and scaled to be 24 x 12 x 0.45 inches. You can see the high level of detail here, some of which is always going to be lost in the machining.

JamesB
Vectric Alumni

Post by JamesB »

As promised above here are a couple of VCarve Pro/PartWorks files which might work for a background to the Last Supper file with just the figures and the table in it. Not sure how this would actually look when put together but though I would post them in case anyone can use them with the model from the site. These are set up at a size of 24 x 12 inches. The vector is included for the outline of the V3M so you can use that to size the 3D part so it matches this.

These files both have toolpaths in them although I would caution anyone who uses these to make sure they re-calculate the toolpaths checking the tooling, speeds, feeds etc. to make sure they are suitable for your machine/material.

Files are attached below in a zip file along with two images showing the way the parts look when previewed. I am sure that some of you will be able to make a lot nicer version than mine...
Attachments
First version of background without figures outline: "LS-Background-PW.crv"
First version of background without figures outline: "LS-Background-PW.crv"
Second version of background - file called: "LS-Background-Trim-PW.crv"
Second version of background - file called: "LS-Background-Trim-PW.crv"
LS-Background.zip
Zip file containing 2 CRV files for VCarve Pro/PartWorks of the background vectors for the Last Supper.
(230.79 KiB) Downloaded 697 times

calgrdnr
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot prt with 4g upgrade

Post by calgrdnr »

Wow very nice, guess I have to buy Cut3D now. Does that qualify me for the discount :)

JDJones
Vectric Craftsman

Post by JDJones »

Very nice James.
I'll put it on my list to buy.
James D. Jones

buck4
Vectric Craftsman

Last Supper

Post by buck4 »

You continue to impress me, I just finished the stage coach profile, and now I have learned one grandson (7yrs) is wanting another Dragon style.
Thank You for all your help, and it's clear you and your staff continue are a step above all others...............Buck

Thkoutsidthebox
Vectric Wizard

Post by Thkoutsidthebox »

Kent you don't need Cut3D, V-Carve pro will cut the VA3D models just fine. So will VA3D's free program. :D But Cut-3D is certainly a great piece of software to add to the arsenel. ;)

The new model looks great James, I like the idea of making it in two parts, I'll have to give it a go. :)

larrybadgett
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopSabre

Last Supper

Post by larrybadgett »

Beautiful!!! Amazing detail. Great Job! I've attached a screen shot of what I've been working on the last couple on months hour at a time.Still could use some more detail but has a long long way to go to match the detail in the Last Supper. You sure know how to get into a mans pocket book!
Attachments
16x11 B JDeere C.jpg
Woodchip
Wud Bi Tek
http://wudbitek.com/

knighttoolworks
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: shobot 48x96

Post by knighttoolworks »

Thkoutsidthebox wrote:Kent you don't need Cut3D, V-Carve pro will cut the VA3D models just fine. So will VA3D's free program. :D But Cut-3D is certainly a great piece of software to add to the arsenel. ;)

The new model looks great James, I like the idea of making it in two parts, I'll have to give it a go. :)
you can only cut va3d files with the free software. vcarve will nut cut 3d files directly you need to make the toolpath in cut3d first and import it.

JamesB
Vectric Alumni

Post by JamesB »

Thanks for the comments, glad you like the new file.
Just to clarify, to create toolpaths on the models you can use either the free software - Vector Art 3D Machinist, Cut3D or PartWorks3D. From those packages you can save the file directly to your machine.

Now if you want to import this into VCarve Pro or PartWorks then you need to calculate the toolpaths then save the V3M or V3D file and import it into VCarve Pro as a 3D toolpath.
Regards,
James

Thkoutsidthebox
Vectric Wizard

Post by Thkoutsidthebox »

knighttoolworks wrote: you can only cut va3d files with the free software. vcarve will nut cut 3d files directly you need to make the toolpath in cut3d first and import it.
Not wrong, I only ever use VCP for VA3D models. As James mentioned above I create a V3M file with his FREE program first, and import it. So no you don't need Cut3D. But yes technically your correct, you can't just cut them with VCP without running them through VA3D Machinst first. Perhaps I phrased my previous post badly....oops :)