Fish bird house (Jowls)

This is the place to post images of work produced using Aspire
Robert58
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster

Fish bird house (Jowls)

Post by Robert58 »

I worked in this bird(or is it a Fisrd) house project for my wife among my other wood working jobs. I was a bit technical with getting the parts to align correctly, but everything came together nice. I drew up a small fat fish outline using my 2-D cad program, I then moved it over to Aspire and used the modeling tools to create the fish shape . I then had to do a inside hollowing out of the fish shape . Then I ran 4 separate carving programs, a inside 3-D milling/hollowing program 1 left and 1 right, followed by a outside3-D milling left and right program. After that it was glued together, sanded and painted. In some of the areas the wall thickness was only 3/8" between the outside and inside surfaces. The fish is 6" wide by 12" long
Attachments
fish 1.jpg
fish 2.jpg
CIMG2447.JPG

USCG
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Laguna Swift

Re: Fish bird house (Jowls)

Post by USCG »

Great work and idea. Awesome finish as well.
Mike

DDWALKER
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Homemade-Running Mach3

Post by DDWALKER »

That's nice, and I like how it looks like ceramic.

-David

sailfl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: MechMate

Post by sailfl »

Nice fish. Are there any birds using it?

Robert58
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster

Post by Robert58 »

DDWALKER wrote:That's nice, and I like how it looks like ceramic.

-David
The wood I used was glued together western ceder. After finishing on the CNC I took a 120 grit flap sander and sanded into the wood to get the wood rings to show out better. I then put a primer coat on the wood then added layers of white, blue and green and wiped off random areas of the paint on each layer to let the layer underneath show. I also added some random dots of red and black by using a tooth brush and a thin piece of wood to flick some paint on to the fish. I also added some metallic silver to highlight the fish scales, then a couple of coats of UV clear to protect the finish